Cigars/Factory Box Code

Question
Greetings - I was gifted a box of "Punch Punch" Habanos. Knowing that there are a lot of fake Cuban cigars on the market, the lack of a factory box code on the bottom of the box, has me concerned. The rest of the box and markings look legitimate and the cigars are high quality. The box date is "Feb 15 2013". Goverment stamp, bar code and other features are consistent with what I've seen in the past. A dealer told
Me that lack of a factory code does not mean that they are fakes.
Your thoughts, please? Thanks

Answer
Hi Lee,

Even though factory codes are constantly changed and no longer considered important, they still exist and are always printed on the bottom of the box.  The lack of a factory code is very suspicious.  It is possible that the box may have been a misprint (it's rare but can occur) so you will also need to look at the following factors to help determine authenticity:

The box date is fairly recent so does the box have the new 2010 hologram label?  This label has angled hologram corners as opposed to the rounded corners on the previous hologram/barcode label.  This new hologram label will also have a micro serial number printed within the image in various locations. (You can easily spot the number under the word "ZIGARREN", above the letter C in "REPUBLICA" and at the base of the tobacco field image.) If the box has the older hologram/barcode label, it is most likely questionable.  (If barcode label has the serial number, check the serial number at http://www.habanos.com/Sellos/Info/VerificaSelloCajon to see if the box is authentic.

If your box is the 25 count dress box version (you didn't mention if it was dress box or SLB), there should be an EAN-13 (UPC) code on the back of the box.  Habanos began adding the EAN-13 code in 2010 but counterfeiters have been known to still use pre-2010 boxes.  Post-2010 boxes that do not have this EAN-13 code are questionable.

The chevron sticker should read "HABANOS D.O.P." with the words "Denominación de Origen Protegida" underneath it.  This new label was implemented beginning in 2009 and appears on all current boxes now.  If your box is using an older chevron label, it is most likely counterfeit.

Because your box is dated 2013, it should have all the current labels. If it has any of the older labels, I would be suspicious.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee