Cigars/Cigar Family Tree

I've been smoking cigars long enough to have tasted dozens of different brands and sizes and to land on a few favorites. Over these years I'v sadly watched my favorites disappear from retailers inventories.

I recently came across an article in GQ magazine depicting a "family tree" of sorts for whiskey. The graphic accompanying the article showed the parent distillery along with the brands that they produce. One interesting take-away - for me - was seeing that, for example, Buffalo Trace was the same stuff as Eagle Rare 17. The point being that Eagle Rare 17 is the exact same stuff as Buffalo Trace, just not aged as a long.

While I understand that there are differences between the two bourbons, they come from the same foundation.

What does this have to do with cigars?

Is there a similar family tree to be found for cigars? Once I find a favorite, and in the event that it is no longer produced, I'd like to know who made it, where it came from, or what "sister" brands it may have. This way, I can more easily find what I like.

Using the bourbon example again, if I can't find (or afford) Eagle Rare, I'm likely to find (afford) Buffalo Trace a suitable substitute.

I'm hoping to find something similar for cigars.

(for anyone interested, the bourbon tree can be found at:

Excellent question, and I wish such a "family tree" of cigars existed. What you ask makes perfect sense, but as far as I know there is no such lineage of cigar brands. If there is a specific brand or brands you'd like to track back to the manufacturer and their other brands, I'd be happy to hep you with that.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Bill Finck Jr.

I'm a fourth generation cigar maker and have spent 25+ years operating our factory as well as a mail order cigar company. I belong to cigar manufacturers associations as well as retail cigar associations so I'm usually up to date with current events relating to cigars. I've smoked the majority of brands on the market and would be happy to share my opinions of them with you. Since I live in the U.S. I have very little experience with Cuban cigars, but other than that I know a least a little bit about almost every brand of cigars on the market.

In addition to growing up in and now managing our cigar factory for 25+ years, I've spent time in many factories in Honduras, Nicaragua, The Dominican Republic and Mexico. BR>
Cigar Association of America, Retail Tobacco Dealers Association

BS Texas A&M University