Cigars/hygrometer issues

Question
built-in hygrometer
built-in hygrometer  

Xikar hygrometer
Xikar hygrometer  
Hey James. I Recently purchased a 120 ct. Valencia humidor with built-in digital hygrometer/thermometer. Here's the problem: as I'm seasoning with plain distilled water, I notice the built-in hygrometer is reading low (59% @ 72F).It's never gone over 65%. I drop in a Xikar digital I had in my smaller case and it reads 77% @ 72.I think the humidors hygrometer is bad. Its non-removable. Any suggestions? Thx.

Answer
Hi Darryl,

I'm not sure if the hygrometer is removable. Hygrometers installed into the facade of a humidor are usually affixed securely to prevent humidity leaks.

Try to examine the back of the hygrometer inside your humidor and see the unit can be carefully pushed out and removed. If not, look at the back of the hygrometer and see if there are any buttons that allow you to manually calibrate the digital reading. With most of these permanently-affixed humidor hygrometers, there are usually buttons on the back of the unit to adjust the reading when it is not accurate.  Simply take a secondary hygrometer (that you know is accurate) and measure the humidity level inside your humidor. You then calibrate the humidor's hygrometer so that the readings are identical with the secondary hygrometer.

If the hygrometer is not removable and there are no accessible calibration buttons on the unit, you may want to consider contacting the manufacturer or place of purchase for replacement or repair options.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee