Cigars/Polymer crystals

Hello Mr. Yee,

I recently purchased a humidor with the standard 'credo' humidifier filled with oasis floral foam. After reading a bunch of blogs, I decided to remove the foam and replace it with polymer crystals, a brand by the name of "Soil Moist." After reading blog after blog, I decided again to make a 50/50 solution mixing Propylene Glycol and distilled water. I then put a tablespoon of polymer crystals into the 'credo' humidifier and poured the 50/50 solution onto the crystals, waited an hour for the crystals to absorb the solution, and then put everything back together. I immediately placed the humidifier into the humidor and closed the lid. Will this system maintain 50-75 cigars at 70 percent RH in my Craftman's Bench humidor?

All the best,

Hi Joe,

Polymer beads, crystals and gel pillows are an excellent alternative to use in your humidor instead of the older generation "aqua foam". Polymer-based humidifiers are less susceptible to bacteria, hold moisture longer than floral foam and are more user-friendly.  Your polymer beads and PG solution should definitely be able to maintain your cigars at 70% RH with ease. However, when using PG solution, you may need to fine-tune your mixture until you find the perfect balance of PG and distilled water to achieve 70%. Normally 50/50 is the perfect ratio but sometimes it may be slightly off by a percent or two so monitor your humidor closely for the next 1-2 weeks and adjust your PG mixture if necessary. If the humidity is too high, add a few small drops of PG. If the humidity is too low, add a bit more distilled water. :)

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James Yee

My main area of expertise is Cuban cigars and I can assist you if you have questions pertaining to Cuban cigars. I can also assist you with the following:

- General cigar-related questions and advice
- Humidor maintenance and troubleshooting (How to treat humidor mold, correct high/low humidity, humidor seasoning, etc.)
- Accessory maintenance and troubleshooting (Cigar cutters, hygrometers, humidifiers, etc.)
- Cigar restoration, preservation and troubleshooting (How to treat cigar mold/tobacco beetles, restoring vintage/dry cigars, etc.)
- Cigar/Brand identification
- Cigar etiquette

Unsure of a certain cigar brand? Wondering what a certain cigar tastes like? Have a question about Cuban cigars? Having problems with a humidor or Just let me know! I have smoked every brand of Cuban cigars and most reputable non-Cuban cigar brands on a regular basis so I know a fair bit about taste profiles, cigar etiquette and other fine nuances to cigar smoking. (NOTE: My main focus is on premium, hand-rolled cigars and not cheap, machine made, convenience store cigars.) IMPORTANT: PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT PROVIDE CIGAR OR CIGAR-RELATED APPRAISALS. If you have a vintage cigar item and you want to know if it's worth something, please contact an antique dealer that specializes in "TOBACCIANA".

I currently have 19 dedicated years of cigar smoking and counting. I have smoked every brand of Cuban cigars and most reputable non-Cuban cigar brands on a regular basis so I know a fair bit about taste profiles, cigar etiquette and other fine nuances to cigar smoking. For 5 years, I studied with Cuban torcedores (rollers), catadores (taste testers) and revisadores (inspectors) on every aspect involving the production of the Cuban cigar and I am currently writing a book that will help beginners understand everything they need to know about cigars and cigar smoking.

Maple Leaf Gardens: Memories & Dreams 1931-1999 (1999; ISBN: 0920445616)
50 Things Every Guy Should Know How To Do (2006; ISBN: 0452286654)
The [London] Times (October 8, 2009)

B.A. University of Toronto

Allexperts Top 25 Shortest Average Response Time: 2008-2009
Highest Rank:
- 2008 - 6th Overall, July
- 2009 - 10th Overall, February