Cigars/humidity level displaying

i juste bought a remington cigar humidor. I'm trying to set it up for the first time. i set the humidity level to 70 and just to be sure i put 2 hygrometer inside, one digital and one mechanical. the 2 hygrometer inside a displaying a different reading than the machine how should i adjust that ?

Hi Maksim,

The first thing you should do is allow your hygrometers to sit in your humidor for at least several days to allow them to receive an accurate humidity reading. Depending on the placement of your hygrometer(s) and the layout of your humidor (such as the arrangement of your cigars or humidor drawers, trays and/or shelves that may obstruct humidity flow), it may take some time for your hygrometers to receive a proper reading.  

If the hygrometers continues to provide different readings, you will need to salt test them for accuracy.  To salt test your analog hygrometers, you will need the following:

- A very small dish or bottle cap
- Some regular table salt
- Distilled water
- A sealable plastic bag or container with a lid
- Your hygrometer(s)

First, take a tablespoon of salt and pour it into the small dish or bottle cap.  Add a tiny bit of distilled water and mix it together. The mixture should resemble WET SAND. Place the dish inside a plastic bag or container with your hygrometers. (DO NOT let the salt mixture touch your hygrometers as the salt water will damage them.)  Close up the bag/container and let your hygrometers sit undisturbed for 6 hours. After 6 hours, your hygrometers should read 75% humidity. If not, adjust them so that they both read 75%. Your analog hygrometer should have a knob, pin or adjustable screw on the housing that allows you to adjust the needle. Digital hygrometers all vary by make and model so check the instruction manual that came with your digital hygrometer on how to adjust it.

Your hygrometers are now fully calibrated and accurate.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James Yee

My main area of expertise is Cuban cigars and I can assist you if you have questions pertaining to Cuban cigars. I can also assist you with the following:

- General cigar-related questions and advice
- Humidor maintenance and troubleshooting (How to treat humidor mold, correct high/low humidity, humidor seasoning, etc.)
- Accessory maintenance and troubleshooting (Cigar cutters, hygrometers, humidifiers, etc.)
- Cigar restoration, preservation and troubleshooting (How to treat cigar mold/tobacco beetles, restoring vintage/dry cigars, etc.)
- Cigar/Brand identification
- Cigar etiquette

Unsure of a certain cigar brand? Wondering what a certain cigar tastes like? Have a question about Cuban cigars? Having problems with a humidor or Just let me know! I have smoked every brand of Cuban cigars and most reputable non-Cuban cigar brands on a regular basis so I know a fair bit about taste profiles, cigar etiquette and other fine nuances to cigar smoking. (NOTE: My main focus is on premium, hand-rolled cigars and not cheap, machine made, convenience store cigars.) IMPORTANT: PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT PROVIDE CIGAR OR CIGAR-RELATED APPRAISALS. If you have a vintage cigar item and you want to know if it's worth something, please contact an antique dealer that specializes in "TOBACCIANA".

I currently have 19 dedicated years of cigar smoking and counting. I have smoked every brand of Cuban cigars and most reputable non-Cuban cigar brands on a regular basis so I know a fair bit about taste profiles, cigar etiquette and other fine nuances to cigar smoking. For 5 years, I studied with Cuban torcedores (rollers), catadores (taste testers) and revisadores (inspectors) on every aspect involving the production of the Cuban cigar and I am currently writing a book that will help beginners understand everything they need to know about cigars and cigar smoking.

Maple Leaf Gardens: Memories & Dreams 1931-1999 (1999; ISBN: 0920445616)
50 Things Every Guy Should Know How To Do (2006; ISBN: 0452286654)
The [London] Times (October 8, 2009)

B.A. University of Toronto

Allexperts Top 25 Shortest Average Response Time: 2008-2009
Highest Rank:
- 2008 - 6th Overall, July
- 2009 - 10th Overall, February