Cigars/fake or real

Question
my wife's grandmother brought back a box of cohibas from cuba. none of the stickers were affixed to the box. is it possible that they could be real but stolen? the box and stickers are all good quality.

Answer
Hi Andrew,

Your cigars are either black market cigars (meaning they are genuine and were stolen from the factory) or counterfeit cigars with labels stolen from the factory. In most cases, it's the latter.  Counterfeit Cuban cigars sold with the box labels and stickers unaffixed have become more popular in recent years because it's easier for people to steal a sheet of genuine labels than steal the actual cigars.  Counterfeiters will then manufacture counterfeit boxes or steal/recycle genuine boxes and pack their counterfeit cigars in the boxes to be sold with the labels.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to tell whether or not the cigars are genuine unless you smoke one. You can also examine the box as subtle differences in the logo and lettering can indicate a counterfeit box from a real box. Although counterfeiters can produce an extremely convincing box, the size and placement of the logo as well as the size and thickness of the print is usually off.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee