Cigars/Humidor seasoning in Singapore

Hi there Mr Yee,

It's a real joy reading all your comments on the various questions and here's hoping you could answer mine as well.

I notice a fellow countryman asked something similar but this being my first time, I'm being very careful in the steps I'm taking to season my humidor correctly.

I recently bought a 25-cigar humidor and have placed and order for 2 batches of my favourite cigars. While many sources recommend a 70/70 split, I'm wondering if living in a tropical and humid place like Singapore still requires me to get a humidifier pack for my humidor.

If anything I see the temperature getting out of hand but I do have a nice cool spot in the room where I can keep it.

Do I need to humidify my humidor? Or will leaving it as it is in a cool place be enough? And if so, should I leave the box top ajar to have the cedar trap the moist air for the first 14 days?

Thank you once again for the time taken.

- Jegan

Hi Jegan,

If your humidor's internal humidity level is within 65-73% WITHOUT a humidifier, you will not require a humidification device. Take a digital hygrometer and measure the humidity level inside your humidor. If the humidity level is BELOW 65%, add a small humidifier to raise the humidity or relocate your humidor to a more humid room. If the humidity is ABOVE 73%, relocate your humidor to a slightly more dry room or add an inhibitor such as dry humidor beads to regulate the humidity.  

In regards to temperature, your humidor must be stored in a room with a room temperature that does not exceed 74 degrees Fahrenheit (23.3 degrees Celsius). Prolonged exposure to temperatures above 74 degrees can be disastrous for your cigars as tobacco beetle eggs have been known to begin incubation at 75 degrees. 70 degrees (21.1 Celsius) is considered ideal for cigars.

In most cases, humidors in tropical regions do not require seasoning but if you find your humidor to be extremely dry for a long period of time, you may season it if you prefer. Leaving the box lid ajar for two weeks to naturally season is perfectly fine but as always, it is ideal to closely monitor the humidity level with a digital hygrometer for 24 hours before adding to your cigars to observe any abnormal humidity and temperature issues that your humidor might have.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James Yee

My main area of expertise is Cuban cigars and I can assist you if you have questions pertaining to Cuban cigars. I can also assist you with the following:

- General cigar-related questions and advice
- Humidor maintenance and troubleshooting (How to treat humidor mold, correct high/low humidity, humidor seasoning, etc.)
- Accessory maintenance and troubleshooting (Cigar cutters, hygrometers, humidifiers, etc.)
- Cigar restoration, preservation and troubleshooting (How to treat cigar mold/tobacco beetles, restoring vintage/dry cigars, etc.)
- Cigar/Brand identification
- Cigar etiquette

Unsure of a certain cigar brand? Wondering what a certain cigar tastes like? Have a question about Cuban cigars? Having problems with a humidor or Just let me know! I have smoked every brand of Cuban cigars and most reputable non-Cuban cigar brands on a regular basis so I know a fair bit about taste profiles, cigar etiquette and other fine nuances to cigar smoking. (NOTE: My main focus is on premium, hand-rolled cigars and not cheap, machine made, convenience store cigars.) IMPORTANT: PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT PROVIDE CIGAR OR CIGAR-RELATED APPRAISALS. If you have a vintage cigar item and you want to know if it's worth something, please contact an antique dealer that specializes in "TOBACCIANA".

I currently have 19 dedicated years of cigar smoking and counting. I have smoked every brand of Cuban cigars and most reputable non-Cuban cigar brands on a regular basis so I know a fair bit about taste profiles, cigar etiquette and other fine nuances to cigar smoking. For 5 years, I studied with Cuban torcedores (rollers), catadores (taste testers) and revisadores (inspectors) on every aspect involving the production of the Cuban cigar and I am currently writing a book that will help beginners understand everything they need to know about cigars and cigar smoking.

Maple Leaf Gardens: Memories & Dreams 1931-1999 (1999; ISBN: 0920445616)
50 Things Every Guy Should Know How To Do (2006; ISBN: 0452286654)
The [London] Times (October 8, 2009)

B.A. University of Toronto

Allexperts Top 25 Shortest Average Response Time: 2008-2009
Highest Rank:
- 2008 - 6th Overall, July
- 2009 - 10th Overall, February