Cigars/humidor revitalization

Question
Hi there,
I have been ignorant on what liquid to use to humidify within the humidor and have been using tap water since I owned it, instead of distilled water. I understand the consequences of this but was wondering if there is any way to reverse what using tap water has done to the cedar in the humidor. Would giving a light sanding to the interior, re-open the pores so I can then get the full advantage of using distilled water.

Answer
Hi Rob,

In most cases, re-seasoning your humidor with distilled water and then using distilled water in your humidifier is all you need to do to reverse the effects of tap water but if the interior cedar in your humidor has discolored, smells unusual or accumulated mold and/or calcium deposits (common with prolonged use of tap or bottled drinking water), you can lightly sand the interior cedar with a fine to medium grit sandpaper to rejuvenate the wood. First you will need to leave your humidor open for several days to dry out the interior.  This will loosen any mold or calcium deposits from the grain of the wood. After your humidor has dried out, vacuum the loosened particulates with a vacuum cleaner and soft bristle attachment. You can now sand the interior. After sanding, use a vacuum or can of compressed air to thoroughly remove the fine cedar dust from your humidor. You can now re-season your humidor and refill the humidifier with distilled water.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will he happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee