Cigars/Montecruz Dunhill Canary Islands

montecruz Dunhill
montecruz Dunhill  
Could really use your help on these , I've searched and tried but all I can ever find is pictures of empty boxes .. can you guess the year and maybe point me to where I can get more info?  Much appreciated!! Have more pictures I can send I have to never opened boxes from a death been in my humidor for years and always wondered

ANSWER: Hi Chad,

There should be an ink stamp or sticker underneath the box that should have a production date or distributor/retailer stocking date and that can give you an idea of how old the box is. Not all distributors and retailers will have a stocking date on the box but you might be lucky and find one. The brand itself came into production in 1977 but it is impossible to determine the age of the cigars if there is no date stamp on the box and unfortunately, many cigar manufacturers didn't date their boxes in the 1970's and 1980's. (Some brands today still don't date their cigars.)

bottom of box
bottom of box  

QUESTION: I thought it maybe older just because I thought Montecruz had moved from the Canary Islands by the early 1970s. Here is a pic much appreciated

Hi Chad,

Oops, I didn't notice you originally mentioning Canary Islands. My mistake, sorry about that. Yes, the Canary Islands version was launched in 1964 so your box was made sometime between 1964 and 1977.  The underside of the box doesn't have any information regarding the date which was fairly common at the time as box codes wasn't very important to cigar smokers back then.

Does the warranty label have a year printed on it? It won't be specific to when your cigars were made but if there is a year on it, it could narrow down the date of when your cigars were made. (For example, if the label had a declaration year of 1972, you would know the box was made no earlier than 1972.)

James Yee

My main area of expertise is Cuban cigars and I can assist you if you have questions pertaining to Cuban cigars. I can also assist you with the following:

- General cigar-related questions and advice
- Humidor maintenance and troubleshooting (How to treat humidor mold, correct high/low humidity, humidor seasoning, etc.)
- Accessory maintenance and troubleshooting (Cigar cutters, hygrometers, humidifiers, etc.)
- Cigar restoration, preservation and troubleshooting (How to treat cigar mold/tobacco beetles, restoring vintage/dry cigars, etc.)
- Cigar/Brand identification
- Cigar etiquette

Unsure of a certain cigar brand? Wondering what a certain cigar tastes like? Have a question about Cuban cigars? Having problems with a humidor or Just let me know! I have smoked every brand of Cuban cigars and most reputable non-Cuban cigar brands on a regular basis so I know a fair bit about taste profiles, cigar etiquette and other fine nuances to cigar smoking. (NOTE: My main focus is on premium, hand-rolled cigars and not cheap, machine made, convenience store cigars.) IMPORTANT: PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT PROVIDE CIGAR OR CIGAR-RELATED APPRAISALS. If you have a vintage cigar item and you want to know if it's worth something, please contact an antique dealer that specializes in "TOBACCIANA".

I currently have 19 dedicated years of cigar smoking and counting. I have smoked every brand of Cuban cigars and most reputable non-Cuban cigar brands on a regular basis so I know a fair bit about taste profiles, cigar etiquette and other fine nuances to cigar smoking. For 5 years, I studied with Cuban torcedores (rollers), catadores (taste testers) and revisadores (inspectors) on every aspect involving the production of the Cuban cigar and I am currently writing a book that will help beginners understand everything they need to know about cigars and cigar smoking.

Maple Leaf Gardens: Memories & Dreams 1931-1999 (1999; ISBN: 0920445616)
50 Things Every Guy Should Know How To Do (2006; ISBN: 0452286654)
The [London] Times (October 8, 2009)

B.A. University of Toronto

Allexperts Top 25 Shortest Average Response Time: 2008-2009
Highest Rank:
- 2008 - 6th Overall, July
- 2009 - 10th Overall, February