Cigars/cuban cigars

Question
front
front  

Back
Back  
Hi, would be grateful for any information you can give me ref this box of Cuban cigars. I have recently inherited them from my uncles estate and his wife tells me that the were part of a consignment he purchased in the late 50s/early 60s. Many thanks Bill.

Answer
Hi Bill,

La Flor de Henry Clay is a pre-revolutionary Cuban cigar brand. The brand was created in 1840 in honour of US politician Henry Clay by cigar magnate Julian Alvarez and was a sister-brand to the regular "Henry Clay" Cuban cigar line. Based on the "Made in Havana-Cuba" stamp on the underside of the box, the cigars appears to have been produced prior to September 1960.  However, the green warranty label on the box appears to be the sixth generation label which was introduced in 1961. Based on your photograph, it appears that the warranty label is placed over an existing label. Cigar factories have been known to affix a new warranty label (if the design has recently changed) over existing stock that they may have but have not shipped yet (which can be anywhere between 1-2 year old stock). Considering this, the box of cigars you have may have been produced sometime between 1958-1960.

Henry Clay cigars are no longer produced in Cuba but the brand is still produced for the non-Cuban cigar market. The brand is now owned by Spain-based cigar group Altadis and is produced with tobacco from the Dominican Republic.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James

Cigars

James Yee