Cigars/dry cigar comeback

.          can you rehumidify a dry cigar? I recently acquired a humidor full of cigars, yet most of them are very dry. Obviously I would like to smoke them, but only if they are worth it. I have never tried smoking a dried cigar.

I apologize for the delay in responding, for some reason I was not notified of your question until today.

Yes, it is possible to re-humidify cigars. It takes some patience as you’ll want the cigars to slowly take on moisture. If you were to force a lot of moisture on them quickly you’ll find that they expand rapidly and many of them will spilt & crack.

Simply use a high quality humidifier (I suggest either Xikar or Boveda brands) and keep them sealed in your humidor with one of these humidifiers. You’ll want to keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t run out of water, but simply let the cigars absorb moisture for as long as 60 to 90 days. One the cigars can be gently squeezed and have a little “give”, you’ll know they are ready to smoke. If they feel too firm or if you hold one next to your ear and hear a cracking sound as you gently squeeze them, you’ll know they are still too dry.

Hope this helps.

Bill Finck Jr.

I'm a fourth generation cigar maker and have spent 25+ years operating our factory as well as a mail order cigar company. I belong to cigar manufacturers associations as well as retail cigar associations so I'm usually up to date with current events relating to cigars. I've smoked the majority of brands on the market and would be happy to share my opinions of them with you. Since I live in the U.S. I have very little experience with Cuban cigars, but other than that I know a least a little bit about almost every brand of cigars on the market.

In addition to growing up in and now managing our cigar factory for 25+ years, I've spent time in many factories in Honduras, Nicaragua, The Dominican Republic and Mexico. BR>
Cigar Association of America, Retail Tobacco Dealers Association

BS Texas A&M University