Cigars/Cigar Manufacturing

Hello there.  I have just acquired a never been opened "Star" Cutter manufactured by the Du Brul Mfg. Co.  It looks about a hundred years old.  It was found in the storage room of an American cigar manufacturer.  Have you ever heard of such a thing?

tuck cutter.jpg
tuck cutter.jpg  

I am not really an expert on antiques, but I believe what you have is a blade for a tuck cutter. When a cigar maker rolls a cigar, he trims of the end (tuck) with a hand cutter. The blade is star shaped, so a cutting surface gets dull, he can simply rotate the blade to the next cutting edge and keep working. I'm attaching a picture of something similar. These cutters are still manufactured and used today.

Hope this helps.

Bill Finck Jr.

I'm a fourth generation cigar maker and have spent 25+ years operating our factory as well as a mail order cigar company. I belong to cigar manufacturers associations as well as retail cigar associations so I'm usually up to date with current events relating to cigars. I've smoked the majority of brands on the market and would be happy to share my opinions of them with you. Since I live in the U.S. I have very little experience with Cuban cigars, but other than that I know a least a little bit about almost every brand of cigars on the market.

In addition to growing up in and now managing our cigar factory for 25+ years, I've spent time in many factories in Honduras, Nicaragua, The Dominican Republic and Mexico. BR>
Cigar Association of America, Retail Tobacco Dealers Association

BS Texas A&M University