Cigars/Aging Cigars

Hi James!

I've recently become interested into cigars, so I have a question regarding aging cigars...
From what i've read you store cigars for 5-10 years, but i wonder if you can store it for 20-30 years, and does the cigar continue to age for that long?
My follow-up question to that is, since i'm aging the cigar for so long, i wanted a more expensive brand, more precisely, Cohiba (not the most expensive but still, story behind it interests me). Since it is a little expensive, i thought i would buy 1 cigar each month until i have 10-15 cigars. Since the cigars are different age, would they somehow age badly?

Thank you for your time, and sorry for the long mail.

With best regards, Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

If your humidor is properly maintained, you can store and age cigars indefinitely. However, it must be noted that when aging cigars, the cigars' flavour will amalgamate and intensify over time  but after a certain number of years, the flavour will peak and then begin to become more mellow. For most cigars, the aging peak is usually between 8-10 years. Cigar smokers that prefer a richer flavour will usually smoke their aged cigars before they peak. If you prefer a more mellow flavour, the longer you age your cigars after the aging peak, the more mellow they become.  It's fine to age cigars for 20-30 years but they will most likely be very mild and mellow by then.

In regards to your follow-up question, it's perfectly acceptable to store and age cigars of different ages together. As long as your humidor is properly maintained, all your cigars should age well.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please feel free to just ask and I will be happy to help.

James Yee

My main area of expertise is Cuban cigars and I can assist you if you have questions pertaining to Cuban cigars. I can also assist you with the following:

- General cigar-related questions and advice
- Humidor maintenance and troubleshooting (How to treat humidor mold, correct high/low humidity, humidor seasoning, etc.)
- Accessory maintenance and troubleshooting (Cigar cutters, hygrometers, humidifiers, etc.)
- Cigar restoration, preservation and troubleshooting (How to treat cigar mold/tobacco beetles, restoring vintage/dry cigars, etc.)
- Cigar/Brand identification
- Cigar etiquette

Unsure of a certain cigar brand? Wondering what a certain cigar tastes like? Have a question about Cuban cigars? Having problems with a humidor or Just let me know! I have smoked every brand of Cuban cigars and most reputable non-Cuban cigar brands on a regular basis so I know a fair bit about taste profiles, cigar etiquette and other fine nuances to cigar smoking. (NOTE: My main focus is on premium, hand-rolled cigars and not cheap, machine made, convenience store cigars.) IMPORTANT: PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT PROVIDE CIGAR OR CIGAR-RELATED APPRAISALS. If you have a vintage cigar item and you want to know if it's worth something, please contact an antique dealer that specializes in "TOBACCIANA".

I currently have 19 dedicated years of cigar smoking and counting. I have smoked every brand of Cuban cigars and most reputable non-Cuban cigar brands on a regular basis so I know a fair bit about taste profiles, cigar etiquette and other fine nuances to cigar smoking. For 5 years, I studied with Cuban torcedores (rollers), catadores (taste testers) and revisadores (inspectors) on every aspect involving the production of the Cuban cigar and I am currently writing a book that will help beginners understand everything they need to know about cigars and cigar smoking.

Maple Leaf Gardens: Memories & Dreams 1931-1999 (1999; ISBN: 0920445616)
50 Things Every Guy Should Know How To Do (2006; ISBN: 0452286654)
The [London] Times (October 8, 2009)

B.A. University of Toronto

Allexperts Top 25 Shortest Average Response Time: 2008-2009
Highest Rank:
- 2008 - 6th Overall, July
- 2009 - 10th Overall, February