Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/pseudonym

is it legal to use pseudonyms online like with gmail? or what about a website like swagbucks or or i sign up to alot of coupon stuff if it legal to us a pseudonym for a coupon account?

Hello ed,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

In my view, the common practice of private persons using a pseudonym for their anonymity and privacy is not only completely reasonable, but protected speech under the 1st Amendment.  You may be interested to know that in certain sensitive matters, lawsuits themselves are captioned with a pseudonym of a party, such as the well known Roe v Wade matter.

Certain persons may make contracts or provide services based on rules which the parties may agree require the use of real names, and I suppose that if a party breaks such a contract there might be a suit for breach.

I suggest that you examine your membership agreements and other documents for any provision regarding your concern.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith

Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.

I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN