Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Romance scam



First of all sorry for  my bad english. I have been dating this kenyan guy for 5 year and lately i found out he only there in this relationship due to my money. All this 5 year i have been giving him food because his parent sendom send him money. I also borrow him money for his school fee. Today i hope i can get back the money i borrow to him can you tell me how. Another thing is i know he buy his medical degree and i feel obligated to tell. Please help me


Hello Cheryl,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

The distinction between a gift and a loan is often a troubling fact issue that can determine the outcome of a suit.  In my state, it is so common that former romantic partners have disputes there is a special statute that requires a written contract to support any legal action for recovery of financial or property matters.  

I suggest that you stop making any conveyances that you expect to be repaid for unless they are supported by a written contract.  Speak to an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about local laws, and the facts attendant to your borrowing practices with your Kenyan guy.  When I look at your message, I'm seeing both the words "giving" and "borrow" which makes me think that even in your own mind there is no clarity as to whether your money to him was a gift or a loan.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.