Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Argument by Analogy could be deductively valid?

Respected Morgan,
Greetings! Hope things good at your end.I just came across this intricate subject as Argument by Analogy.With determined attitude i sorted of out every possible source to comprehend the concept of analogical argument being considered as deductively valid.Unfortunately i failed to understand the concept.
Can you explain me with example of how analogical arguments can be deductively valid elucidating with easy explanations??

Hello Bilal,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

Your question is more suited to the philosophy or rhetoric department than exactly legal in nature, but I'll try my best.

Black's law dictionary defines Argument as "1. A statement that attempts to persuade; esp., the remarks of counsel in analyzing and pointing out or repudiating a desired inference, for the assistance of a decision-maker. 2. The act or process of attempting to persuade. See ORAL ARGUMENT; CLOSING ARGUMENT.  [W]e may define ... an argument as a course of reasoning which firmly establishes a matter about which there is some doubt. Cicero, De Inventione; De Optimo Genere Oratorum; Topica 387 (H.M. Hubbell trans. 1949) (repr. 2006).

Wordsmyth defines Analogy as "1. similarity or correspondence between two otherwise dissimilar things.  There is an analogy between winter and death.; 2. the likening of one thing to another based on similarity of features.  The teacher drew an analogy between a beehive and a busy factory.; 3. a statement of logic wherein one set of paired items has the same relationship between its two members as two items of another set.  "Finger is to hand as toe is to foot" is an example of a simple analogy."

So I guess an argument by analogy might be that if in Loving v Virginia the court ruled it is unconstitutional to deny couples of different races to marry, it is similarly unconstitutional to deny same sex couples their right to marry.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith

Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.

I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN