You are here:

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Does it cost much to go to an employment tribunal?


May I ask this question?

If for some reason, you think you have to go to an outside employment tribunal to complain against your employer, does it cost much money?

I think finance is a major issue to consider. Just think you are working for a huge corporation, is it scary to think they have all the money to hire the best lawyers against you.

My sincere thanks,

Hello Kevin,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

Legal fees vary by location and type of litigation among other factors.  My firm charges $165/hour, although my father says its time to raise that rate.  Skyscraper firms like the one I used to work at can charge $400/hour or more.  Depending on the complexity and circumstances of your case, the number of attorney hours to get a matter started and through trial may be 10 - 50 or more.  I typically accept a case in District Court estimating that my work will be 10 hours at a minimum, so that would be at least $1650.  Other related costs include court filing fees, and professional fees like deposition transcripts etc. that may be additional substantial expenses.  

I suggest that you interview a few practitioners in your area about their fees and estimates of what they'd charge to help you with your case.  In my experience, my colleagues are always happy to talk about their fees and offer their services to potential clients.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.