Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/glass in food product


QUESTION: I ended up with 1 to 2 small pieces of glass in my mouth while I was eatting yogurt I had purchased at a store. It was not until the third time when I figured out where it had come from. I thought first it was from the container. The third time, I kept the receipt and the piece of glass. I should still have the other 2 receipts. In your opinion, should anything be done? There is no obvious damage to my mouth. I do not know if I swallowed undetected fragments.

ANSWER: Hello sallie,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

As a friendly suggestion, I urge you to see a doctor.  I don't have any medical knowledge, but if a friend thought they'd ingested glass, I'd make that suggestion.

In addition to seeking medical attention, I support your idea about preserving evidence, and in addition to the receipt, glass, etc., I suggest you also keep the yogurt and container. Take all of that to your attorney, and explore your options to take legal action against the vendor and manufacturer. When looking for an attorney, some areas of practice that you may do well to search for would be products liability and/or personal injury.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: In your opinion, I no longer have the yogurt, do you think one receipt and 1 piece of glass with 2 past receipts is enough to take to a lawyer.

Thanks in advance.

Hello sallie,

The same limitations of my earlier response apply to your follow-up.

There is no magic to what evidence is enough to bring to your lawyer.  Instead of focusing on that, I suggest you bring everything you can and be receptive to your lawyer likely tasking you with homework to see if any additional evidence or sources thereof can be obtained.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.