Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/statue of limitations on child support?

Question
I have a friend who never received child support for her child because she had no idea where the father was.  The child is now in his 20's but I want to know if he can collect on the child support from his father that he never recieved?  This is in the state of florida.  Thank you.

Answer
Hello adreanna,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

Child support is a state issue, so the laws vary from place to place.  I'm licensed in Minnesota, and suggest that your friend get help from a local practitioner.  Look for an attorney that does Family Law.  The question you need to determine is whether your friend's jurisdiction allows retro-active arrears.  I doubt that it does, but do not know for sure.  In some cases, like where the custodial parent is getting government assistance, the courts can reach back in time to address arrears.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
SMITH & RAVER LLP
Minneapolis, Minnesota
http://smith-and-raver-llp.biz
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith