You are here:

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Can you explain this code please?


I am writing concerning a perpetual care cemetery that has become very run down.    I came across this code in the Texas Health and Saftety Codes, but it is like foriegn language to me. It is code 712.026 in the Texas Health and Saftey codes.  Can you please explain this is lay man terms?  Thanks

Hello Sue,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

With some searching, I found the law you referrenced.  Please see

712.026 - Suit By Plot Owners To Maintain Perpetual Care

Current as of: 2009

Check for updates

View 2008 version

(a) If the directors of a corporation do not generally care for and maintain the corporation's perpetual care cemetery, the district court of the county in which the perpetual care cemetery is located may:

    (1)  by injunction compel the directors to expend the net income of the corporation's fund as required by this chapter; or

    (2)  appoint a receiver to take charge of the fund and expend the net income of the fund as required by this chapter.

    (b)  The suit for relief under this section must be brought by at least five owners of plots located in the perpetual care cemetery.

    (c)  In a suit for relief under this section, court costs and attorney's fees shall be awarded:

    (1)  to the directors of the corporation, if it is found that the directors are substantially expending the available net income of the fund as required by this subchapter; or

    (2)  to the plot owners initiating the suit, if it is found that the directors are not substantially expending the available net income of the fund as required by this subchapter.

I do not praactice law in Texas, and suggest that you direct your question to an attorny in your area familiar with Texas law and rules.  If I have to guess, my guess is that the law you asked about has to do with cemetary plots, and provides for relief in your district courts to make certain decisions about what to do about a company owned cemetary plot when the directors of a company fail to take care of it, or cannot agree how to do so.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.