Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/legal question

QUESTION: Hi.  I'm not sure if you can answer this or not, but I have a question about lottery winnings.  I know that in certain states lottery winners are forced to come forward publicly and claim their prize if it's over a certain amount, but is there a way to avoid this?  Thanks

ANSWER: Hello Dee,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

I suppose part of the lottery rules about publicly claiming the prize are directed at promoting the future lottery players.  I suggest that you review the rules of the contest you are interested in, and if you are a bashful winner, hire an attorney to help you minimze your exposure.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

QUESTION: But, could an attorney actually publicly claim the prize on behalf of the winner so the winner won't have to do the press conference?

Hi Dee,

The same rules pertaining to my original answer apply here.

In response to your follow up, I am reminded of my old contracts professor who admonished exciteable students to always begin at the beginning.  The answer to your question depends on the rules of the particular lottery you are interested in and the laws of your state.  So, I suggest that you and your attorney obtain the rules of the lottery and examine any relevant state laws.  It is possible to imagine a contest that may require a winner to personally participate in promotional photographs, etc.  So begin at the beginning and do a little homework.

If applicable, congratulations.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith

Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.

I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN