You are here:

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/required documents for filing for support under sponsorship


I am Canadian and I married my husband in 2003.  He sponsored me and signed the required documents. We divorced in 2009.  I need to know what forms I need to complete in order to file a civil suit for financial support.  I am not sure if this is a federal or state suit. He is still financially responsible for me because he signed the 1-864 forms.  I hope I have the correct form number.  
I am eligible for this support under the guidelines of this sponsorship regardless of our divorce.
Can you please point me in the right direction so that I can obtain the correct forms.  I would like to proceed with a civil suit.
Thank you for your time.

Hello Jane,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

I do not practice in Canada, and cannot direct you to specific forms.

In a quick search, I was able to find, and‎, both might be helpful to you.  Here in the U.S., I often suggest that folks start their efforts at the local couthouse, where typically a person can find helpful and knowledgeable clerks who can direct a party to approriate forms.  Also, the Minnesota courts website features a link to local forms.  I imagine that your local resources are likely similar.  I suggest that you either click, ring, or stop by at your local courthouse to get started.  Alternatively, you may do well to go to the nearest law library or consult your friendly neighborhood attorney.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law  

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.