Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Private Info given out by Insurance Employee

Question
Good Morning Morgan,

My personal information has been givin out through my insurance company.  I just recently moved and nobody knows my address except my bank, credit accounts and my insurance.  My babys mom has been harrasing me and my wife and threatening me and has been trying to find out where I live.  I purposely have not told her because she is bipolar and very unpredictable and I fear she will come to my house and harm my family or damage my cars or property.
There is an employee at my insurance company that knows my babys mom.  She is the Sister-in-Law of my babys mom.  I believe she gave out my personal information to her, because just last night the police came to my house and said that they received a call from a woman claiming to be my wife, saying there was a domestic disturbance at my exact address.  When the police called the number back , a man answered and said nobody called anyone from this number. (on file with the Police)  As I spoke with the police, my wife just happens to get home from work and we both spoke to the police and cleared up the matter.  The police are aware it was a crank call and are aware that my personal info was givin out through the insurance company.

I would like to know what your thougths are on this matter and what you think i should do about it.

Thank you for your time and your opinions.

Answer
Hello Dan,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

I suggest that your concerns about your baby's mom be addressed by exploring a restraining order.  If a person causes you to be apprehensious for your personal safety or the security of your property, a restraining order may be available to increase your protection.

Also, if you haven't done so already, ask the police for the number of the prank caller, and ask them if they can figure out who made the call.  With appropriate information, you and/or the police may take effective action against the caller.

As to the insurance company, you presently have only your belief that the sister-in-law working there passed along the number.  Until you can prove that, you will likely accomplish little.  In addition to considering switching insurance providers, you may also do well to inquire with your State's board or insurance regulatory board in addition to consulting with a lawyer licensed in your state.  Examine both your policy for contractual provisions that may be pertinent and your local laws to determine if there is a private cause of action that may offer you some relief.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
SMITH & RAVER LLP
Minneapolis, Minnesota
http://smith-and-raver-llp.biz
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith