Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Small Claims

Question
Can I file a small claims against a tire company located in Canada if I live in the US?  All 4 of brand new tires blew with very little miles on them.

Answer
ANSWER: Hello Lisa,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

Jurisdiction is usually best and appropriate where the defendant resides, not the plaintiff.  So, you typically want to sue your opponent where they are.  That's not only a good idea for jurisdiction, but the better path to collecting when/if you get a judgment.  However, some types of cases have the jurisdiction pre-selected by contract.  I recommend that you bring your purchase document(s) for the tires to a lawyer near you who is licensed to practice law in your state (preferably one who has some international law experience which I do not) and get some particular legal advice about the right place to file your complaint.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
SMITH & RAVER LLP
Minneapolis, Minnesota
http://smith-and-raver-llp.biz
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law  

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith