Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/complaint


The other day I was served a complaint that I owe a bill. I am to answer. My question is what exactly should go into the answer?
I later felt because the dentist drilled when the drug wore off a few times, that I should not deal with the place.


ANSWER: Hello Ham,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

Generally, a conventional and helpful Answer to a Complaint includes your response to each fact that is pled; whether you admit, deny or otherwise respond to it.  Also, if there are any new facts or legal theories that you wish to allege, you might be prudent to present them as affirmative defenses.  Finally, it is customary to conclude with what is called a prayer for relief wherein you let your opponent and the Court know what it is you'd like the outcome of the case should be.

Here's an example offered to the public for my state:

I suggest that you confer with an attorney licensed to practice in your area to help you prepare and deliver your defense(s).

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you Mr. Smith.
I'd like to ask, what step do I take if I can't afford an attorney?

Hi again Ham,

The same rules apply to this follow up as set forth in my initial response.

I suggest you contact your local courthouse and find out what kind of legal aid or assistance is available for free or reduced cost.  You may get acces to an attorney who can help for a reduced fee or other resources.  In addition, most courthouses have a law library with information, forms and authority for you to examine.  Many law librarians are happy to help you find what you need.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law  

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.