Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Financial Support Collection

Hi Morgan,

I live in California.  I provided "financial support" for my daughter for about 5 years.  This included room and board and some cash on a monthly basis.

What is the best course of action to collect the financial support amount that she owes me?

Hello Angel,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

I suppose that if the facts support your position, you could sue your debtor for breach of contract to repay the "financial support".  My guess is that the debtor's defense would be that the "financial support" was a gift, perhaps simply made out of familial affection, and not a loan or a conveyance made under a promise to repay.

I suggest that you contact an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction to help you with the proper framing of your claim, and warn you of any other impediments.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law  

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith

Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.

I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN