Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Financial Support Collection

Question
Hi Morgan,

I live in California.  I provided "financial support" for my daughter for about 5 years.  This included room and board and some cash on a monthly basis.

What is the best course of action to collect the financial support amount that she owes me?

Sincerely,
Angel

Answer
Hello Angel,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

I suppose that if the facts support your position, you could sue your debtor for breach of contract to repay the "financial support".  My guess is that the debtor's defense would be that the "financial support" was a gift, perhaps simply made out of familial affection, and not a loan or a conveyance made under a promise to repay.

I suggest that you contact an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction to help you with the proper framing of your claim, and warn you of any other impediments.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
SMITH & RAVER LLP
Minneapolis, Minnesota
http://smith-and-raver-llp.biz
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law  

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith