Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/tenant/landlord issue

Question
Morgan:

I was housed for a short time by Catholic Charities/Archdiocese.  I feel they discriminated against a disability I have, and am trying to find support by looking in law books and talking to attorneys.  I can't believe that just because these people are a religious organization, they do not have to hold up to ADA and Housing tenant/landlord laws regarding discrimination against disability?  Please tell me this isn't true in USA law.
Thank you for your time and any information.

Answer
Hello Lisa,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

A quick internet search revealed to me that there is case law for a religious or ministerial exception to provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act.  I found this primarily to be regarding employment, and I see an allowance for an exception for religious organizations to require employees conform to the religious tenets of the organization for example.  I am not convinced that religious organizations have a broad exemption to the entirety of the ADA or any other law.

Depending on the facts of your controversy, you may have relief under the ADA and/or the Fair Housing Act as well as other authority.  I suggest that you contact an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction to help you with the proper execution of your case.  Be prepared to deliver all of the details about the discrimination you perceive, and work with your attorney to effect your case.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
SMITH & RAVER LLP
Minneapolis, Minnesota
http://smith-and-raver-llp.biz
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith