Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Roommate violence

Question
Hello,

I live in a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom apartment with 2 roommates. 3 of us women. I am 31, they are both 26. We are studying in a doctoral program, I am 3rd year and they are both 1st years. All 3 of us have bachelors and masters degrees. We have our own bathrooms and bedrooms and walk in closets. We only share the main living room/kitchen area.

One of my female roommates (S) hates my guts and has violent problems with me. The other girl (N) is her friend, she has no problems with me but she is never going to take my side since she is friends with S. S is married to a computer engineer, N is married to a doctor, but both their husbands are overseas in the military (army doc/army engineer etc). I am single, never married, no boyfriend. S has a ton of friends that she invites over every day. I have no problem with them, they are very quiet, so I don't mind.

I am quiet, studious, clean, and stay in my room and limit my interactions with them. We are all stuck on the lease with each other, and don't have cars, and don't live near any bus stations or train tracks so we are stuck in the house together. A school bus/minivan picks us up every day to drive us down the street to school.

S goes into violent explosive screaming tirades at me, shouting at the top of her lungs, with her head thrashing back and forth, eyes rolling around in her head, teeth bared, face contorted. It is terrifying. Even in front of everyone. Sometimes when I am alone she does it, but she does it more when I am around people to humiliate me. I am not even looking at her, I am just walking by her on the way to the bathroom, and she explodes at me. Saying that I'm lazy, don't help clean the apartment, whatever bogus thing she can think of. She has continuously threatened to fight me verbally and the other roommate laughs and cheers her on. She has verbally threatened to fight me in front of at least 20 people and everyone started laughing.

S rolls around on her bed, laughing hysterically about my breasts and vagina and butthole, screaming with laughter 3-4 hours a day about my sexual organs, and continuously calling me 'flat tits' and laughing about every single part of my body. This has gone on for 6 months now. I honestly have no idea how she is passing her classes in her doctorate program because 1st year I was barely passing and she spends all her time laughing at my genitalia and the other roommate joins in and slaps high five laughing hysterically and saying "that was awesome, you smacked her down hard"

She goes ballistic screaming at me at 5:30 am in the morning when i wake up walking to the bathroom and the other one laughs.

she comes up behind me and shoves me very hard when I'm in the kitchen.

What is your advice about this situation? I told a bunch of people about it, no one believed me because S and N are very friendly to other people but with me they have violent problems. The people they are yelling at me in front of don't like me so they won't stand up for me. The professors and deans and campus security and apartment landlord just think it's girly catfighting/jealousy so they didn't take it seriously.

Should I report this to police?

I'll be really honest. This is going to sound really dumb, superficial, and silly but...the reason is actually just jealousy, I happen to look exactly like a victoria's secret model named alessandra ambrosio.

They keep saying "beautiful women like you deserve to have their faces smashed in, you need to get knocked off your pedestal, pretty skinny girls like you have it easy your whole life, now we're going to f#@$ you up, we'll murder you, we'll kill you pretty girl"

Yes they are very obese, unattractive, and short. However I have treated them with nothing but kindness, and I am always dressed conservatively and have never flirted with their husbands, so the reaction i'm getting is uncalled for.

They want to kill me simply on the basis of looks, and not my personality or anything I did or said.

This is very common between women.

However this is affecting my studying, it's impossible to pass in a doctorate program when your roommates want to kill you.

What is your advice about my next step, I'm stuck on the lease and don't know where to move and don't have the money to. What should I do? Call the cops? file a report with the cops? they'll laugh at me if i say these girls are just jealous, but it is the truth.

thanks,
Chelsea

Answer
Hello Chelsea,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

Anytime that you feel a crime has been committed or that someone is in danger, go ahead and call the cops; that's why we have police, and they will help if they can.  If they don't find sufficient evidence to make an arrest, they won't be able to accomplish much.

You may do well to speak with an attorney in your area about getting a restraining order or order for protection.  In my state that kind of relief is available to folks in roommate situations.  If you seek some kind of order like that, you will have to fill out a petition explaining how you've been threatened and/or harmed, and there will likely be a hearing where you will have the burden of proving sufficient bad conduct to warrant issuance of a lasting order.  An attorney licensed in your area will be able to help you understand the statutory requirements and how to properly fill out the necessary forms.  I would not focus on your ideas about your roommates being "just jealous"; to my knowledge there are no legal protections available to you based upon how you suspect your adversaries feel.   Rather, there is likely help available based upon what you can prove your roommates have done.  To that end, you may do well to speak to your attorney and begin recording the mistreatment you experience.

There may be assistance available to you from local organizations like battered women's shelters, a tenant advocacy group, etc.  

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
SMITH & RAVER LLP
Minneapolis, Minnesota
http://smith-and-raver-llp.biz
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith