Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Child Support


Hello. I live in Illinois. About 5 years ago I was taken to court for child support. I had previously been paying cash every week to my sons mother for a number of years, but never kept documentation. The court put a judgment on me for $15,000, as my child's mother said I never paid the entire time. The interest on that large of an amount is more than my monthly payment, and the balance keeps on increasing, even though the money come directly out of my check and goes to her. The recently suspended my drivers license because of the outstanding balance. Is there anything I can do? Also, is it possibly for his mother to go to court and tell the judge to somehow "write-off" the balance if we make a new agreement in private between just us two, if I could get her to agree on an arrangement?

Thank you for any help.

Greetings James,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

Furthermore, I do not practice law in your state, and I strongly recommend you find an attorney who does.  You appear to have a pattern of trying to negotiate private agreements with your child's mother that does not serve your best interest.  In my state, I often help clients with a motion to modify child support, and I imagine there is a similar procedure available to you in Illinois.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.