Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Hotel question


Hello, I am not sure if you will be able to answer this but maybe you can direct me in the right direction.  I have rented a hotel room for two months for my sister who is going to be homeless.  I am regretting it deeply now.  I found out today that she may have hepatitis B or C.  I understand that this can be spread through blood contact.  Now am I liable to let the hotel know that she may have this and if I do not and someone gets this after my sister moves out and someone moves in to the room and by some chance gets hepatitis.  Can the hotel sue me since the room is in my name.  Thank you in advance

Greetings John,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

Furthermore, I see by your question that you are in Wyoming.  I do not practice law in your state, and urge you to contact an attorney who does.  

In my state, laws pertaining to hotels are organized in Minn. Stat. 327, and they primarily pertain to liability of the innkeeper for a number of things.  I did not find anything specific to liability of a payor for a guest's illness.  The closest thing I found was an innkeeper's lien against property such as baggage for non-payment of lawful lodging charges. See Minn. Stat. 327.76.

In addition to directing you to a lawyer licensed in your state, I make the suggestion that your sister speak with her health care providers for help understanding local laws and rules pertaining to containing her illness.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.