Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Can a US citizen get in trouble with the FBI

Can a US citizen get in trouble with the FBI if he has website that his hosted in Reykjavik Iceland, that the courts in the United State can’t shut down or seize the domain name of the website. “There is nothing that appears to break Icelandic law on this website” that is what told me. What happens when he tells judge in the United States, that only a judge in Iceland can shut down this website?

This website is hosted in Reykjavik Iceland, by Orange Website. Orange Website, who I’m told is an anarchist and vociferously in favor of freedom of speech. He and the web hosting company are opposed to SOPA and PIPA and have a great track record of defending their clients against nonsense. Orange does not hand over any data on their clients without an Icelandic court order. That means US courts – and other imperious courts around the world – can take a hike unless they can get a judge in Iceland to agree with them. The Federal government of the United States usually serves court-ordered seizures on VeriSign, which manages domains ending in .com, .net, .cc, .tv and. name, because “foreign-based registrars are not bound to comply with U.S. court orders.” The government does the same with the non-profit counterpart to Revising that now manages the .org domain. That is because the Public Interest Registry, like VeriSign, is based in Virginia. The .EU domain of this website is registered with a foreign-based registrar, that is not bound to comply with U.S. court orders.

Hello info....

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

I do not practice in your State, and suggest you hire an attorney licensed there to help you with particular legal advice.  If you've received a subpoena or court order, bring that to your attorney to discuss.

My experience is limited to private disputes concerning web domains, which are governed by an arbitration proceeding and organized as part of ICAN.  Please see:  I have not been involved in any proceeding where a client of mine has been targeted by the FBI concerning their internet activity.  It occurs to me that the FBI would not have jurisdiction over activity in another country, but I defer to your situation.

As a friendly suggestion, you may do well to contact an attorney that specializes in international law for review of your exposure to potential liability and follow that practitioner's advice.  

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith

Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.

I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN