Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Abandoned property

Question
I own a piece of commercial property which is in escrow. In the parking lot of that property my deceased husband allowed a friend to set his 40 foot steel container. The escrow agreement states that it must be removed. There was no contract or any other documentation allowing the container to stay indefinitely. Escrow closes in 1 week, we do not have time for a long drawn out court case. The owner has been e-mail and sent a certified letter stating he must remove his property by a previous date.  What is my recourse???

Answer
Greetings Stephanie,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

I suggest you get a local attorney licensed in your area to help.  The advice you are likely to receive is to sue the container owner and/or enlist the aid of your local sheriff to help you remove the container.  It sounds to me like trespass by chattel, and depending on your local rules, you may be successful sooner or later in having it impounded, towed or otherwise removed.  I would be very surprised if that occurs within the one week time frame you describe.  

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
SMITH & RAVER LLP
Minneapolis, Minnesota
http://smith-and-raver-llp.biz
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

Morgan Smith