Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/The Elderly


Hi Mr.Smith

Just found out two different insurance companies have been electronically deducting payments from my mom's saving.

I'm thinking she may have ok these transactions,not understanding what was doing. She don't remember giving her permission.

Can anything be done to get the money back.

Thanks,for your help. Pat

Greetings Pat,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

I suggest that you contact both companies, and ask for copies of the policies, and whatever signatures or authorizations they claim to have from your mother.  That should help you understand the facts better.  

It seems to me that if your mom authorized a purchase, the seller is not likely to let to ignore the debt.  Your could ask, and perhaps get somewhere under the circumstances.  Depending on the laws and rules in your state, and the amount of debts at issue, you may wish to examine having a guardian appointed over your mom's finances.  Check with your local courthouse, and find a lawyer licensed in your area to look at options like that.

I hope this helps, good luck to you and your mom.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.