Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/can there be a law suit


hi Morgan  if some one in your work place treats you unfairly like is rude to you,  lies to you a lot  & tries to get Sympathy from you by saying so & so yelled at me.
& it gives you anxiety,
can you sue the person or the work place board for this?

also how much would it cost to get a lawyer ?

Greetings Katie,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

I do not practice law in your Country.  There are causes of action for workplace harassment and infliction of emotional distress that may apply.  If your employer and/or a person at your work are creating or tolerating a legally impermissibly hostile work environment, you may prevail in a suit for something like workplace harassment.  Likewise, if you can demonstrate that someone's extreme and outrageous conduct is the proximate cause of your anxiety, you may recover on an emotional distress claim.

I have no idea what lawyers in Canada charge.  I charge $180/hour and that's very low for my area; many of my opponents pay 2 -3 times that much.

I urge you to immediately contact an attorney licensed to practice in your area to help you identify the local laws and rules that apply to this situation.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.