Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/Palimony?


This is my question, I have had this man taking complete care of me over the last five years, completely upon his request that is, he pays all my bills witch include rent lights gas cable etc he bus my grocerys and gives me 300 dollars every Friday for my allowance, he requested that I did not work because he wanted me  available whenever he needed me, he is married of course and the arrangement worked fine up until now, one day he was under the suspicion that I may be dating someone else, which I wasn't, but even if I were I didn't undrrstand the difference, he went home to his wife and children every night. I considered the fact that he could have just been saying he thought I was seeing somebody as a excuse to let me go because he was through with me, but the bottom line is this...this was  basically my job, my only source of income, he got me accustomed to a life style I cant provide by myself, there should be palimony or something, I am getting layed off from a job I cant file unemployment for, just because he has decided he Is through, I know if I take him to court he will most likely settle with me, but on what grounds do I take him to court what is the legal name for this, atleast I feel as if he should assist me in putting me in a permanenet dwelling where I am stable for atleast a year or 2 until I can get on my feet, or settle with me with some money to carry myself, what should I do? please advise
thankyou sarah

Greetings Sarah,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

Furthermore, I see by your question that you are in Tennessee, and I do not practice in your State.

It is not expressly stated in your question the nature of your relationship with the man, but I think I gather the gist of what you experienced.  

Palimony means payments to former cohabitants in the absence of marriage, and is similar to alimony or what is now generally called spousal maintenance.

In my state, there is what I refer to as the boyfriend/girlfriend statute, Minn. Stat. 513.075, which provides that "If sexual relations between the parties are contemplated, a contract between a man and a woman who are living together in this state out of wedlock, or who are about to commence living together in this state out of wedlock, is enforceable as to terms concerning the property and financial relations of the parties only if: (1) the contract is written and signed by the parties..."

So if you were in Minnesota, a controlling factor would be whether you have a written contract with him to pay your bills.  I'm not seeing that in your question.

Furthermore, when you refer to "getting layed off from a job" I urge you to consult with a local practitioner regarding the legality of the nature of that employment.

Without knowing more about your State, I can only opine that if your local laws are similar to my State you do not appear to have a meritorious cause of action against the man.  I suggest that you seek some advice from a licensed local attorney, and few a small amount of compensation that person should be able to confirm whether your State provides relief for your situation.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.