Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)/expected lawsuit


After some cosmetic damage caused no doubt by a vehicle's collision with the wall of my assigned parking space in my condo complex, I'm expecting a bill from the owner's association for repair. I did not cause the damage, and in fact unauthorized vehicles have often been observed using spaces. I'm guessing my course of action should be to refuse to pay and wait for a court action against me--but I'm concerned about consequences, such as the effect on my credit rating. Any insights would be much appreciated.

Greetings Richard,

Before I respond further to your question, I must make clear that I do not represent you, and cannot give you individual particularized legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created by this email. For legal advice, you should hire your own attorney, and follow their advice. My role with AllExperts is limited to providing general information and suggestions for educational or general knowledge purposes. Before you take any action, consult with your own attorney.

Furthermore, I see by your question that you are in California, and I do not practice law in your State.

I suggest that you immediately find a local attorney licensed to practice law in California.  You would probably do well to find some one who's experience includes contract litigation.  It would be prudent to gather all of the information, especially any by-laws, rules or other documents pertaining to your interest in the condo complex.

My guess is that if there is litigation over this, the judge/jury would determine the outcome on the terms of your ownership obligations as defined in State law and your homeowner's association agreement(s).  Without access to those sources of authority, I cannot guess further.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Morgan Smith
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Conciliation Court * Civil Litigation * Forfeitures * Construction * Family Law

Civil/Commercial Litigation (Lawsuits)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Morgan Smith


Civil litigation (contract claims, landlord-tenant actions, forfeiture suits, residential construction defect matters), Family law (divorce, custody modifications, child support modifications, and pre-nuptial agreement), new business start-ups, civil forfeiture, asset forfeiture. Please do not submit your question as Private. It is my policy not to answer Private questions from members of the public here on AllExperts; I reserve that function to my private clients. Although AllExperts permits me to change your questions from Private to Public, it is my policy not to do that. I encourage you to resubmit your question as a public question. Your public question has the potential to help others with similar concerns. I suggest that you use a pretend name and otherwise alter sensitive facts that make you inclined to treat your question as Private, and submit your question to me Publicly.


I've been practicing law in the State of Minnesota since 1995. I've worked in skyscraper firms, and now my own small firm in Minneapolis. Past answers from my earlier participation on AllExperts is posted at:

AllExperts, Yahoo Answers,

J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, MN

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]