Civil Engineering/Diaphragm Action

Question
Is it advisable to use Diaphragm Action for floors & roofs in RCC industrial buildings where major changes are expected in future. For example in case of substation buildings, future extensions leads to making new large floor openings due to new electrical panels & switchgear equipment. Mostly future extensions & modification comes in with unpredictable way based on electrical loading requirement.
Also can diaphragm floor/slab be designed without shear walls that is supported on columns & beams only.

Answer
Dear Riyaz

You can do what you want in structures provided that you calculates the effects and consequences. The provisions in codes are to help engineers to calculate and design more easily. In your case you shall make use of flexible diaphragm or to make sure that the effect of torsion due to absence of lateral resistant elements i.e. shear wall is considered carefully. In seismic ares this is a bit more complicated due to the fact that structures are considered to behave plastically under design earthquakes.

Regards
BEH  

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi