Civil Engineering/Dissertation subject

Hi I'm doing a dissertation about a theme that is not very defined at this moment. Is about various types of slabs, I would like to make a comparison study between some types relating them to the Resisting values of each one relating cost and spans, and I don't know if that is possible, or if you have a different idea that i could make in the same subject.

Best regards

Hi Joao,

Yes, you could do that (as has been done by others before) but if you make the comparisons specific to your location then you may well end up with different conclusions- for example, a slab with down-stand beams may well be more economical where labour is cheap, but not in places where labour is expensive, where a flat slab (although using more concrete and rebar) may be more economical as labour content is much less.

In order to make proper comparisions, you should study not just one bay of a slab but at least 5 bays, so that edge effects and continuity effects can be taken account of. And of course if you compare slabs with downstand beams against flat slabs, you will also need to take account of formwork and rebar and concrete for the beams.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)