Civil Engineering/Dual System on Etabs

Question
QUESTION: Sir,
I have to model a dual system in ETABS.In this regard,I have to assign 25% lateral forces to columns using same dynamic characteristics of the system that include shear walls.While doing this I control the seismic forces to 25% by seismic coeff and use actual "t" of original system.Such modeling is performed to distribute all forces in columns eliminating stiffness of shear walls,but I found that elimination of shear wall's shear and flexural stiffness only is not possible as they are coupled with axial stiffness that cannot be eliminated.
Therefore,I am alternatively using a link element with axial stiffness only (equivalent to AE/L of walls)in place of walls.
Is this approach sounds correct?or do you have any better strategy for modeling of dual systems on ETABS?

ANSWER: Hi Syed,

You cannot "force" a building structure to behave as a dual system if the relative stiffness of the shear walls and the MRF (moment resisting frame) is not conducive to that. So basically you need to model the building as accurately as you can, analyse it and study the base shear and how this is apportioned between the shear walls and the columns. If the sum of the columns base shear is less than 25% of the total, you have two options:

1. Make the shear walls less stiff or the MRF more stiff (deeper beams or bigger columns, or better connectivity into the shear walls)

2. Design the building as a shear wall/bearing wall system.

Your approach of assigning 25% of lateral loading to columns is not correct, as the lateral loading will be distributed to shear walls too through diaphragm action.

seaoc
seaoc  

seaoc
seaoc  
QUESTION: Sir,
I have adopted forced distribution approach from "SEAOC seismic design manual"(images attached).They proposed to analyze the frame independently
for 0.25V regardless of its proportion in actual system and finaly consider the frame design forces maximum of either the independent frame analysis or actual system analysis.Their approach seems to make frame capable of resisting 0.25V regardless of its actual proportion that can be achieved by forced distribution only.
As long as ETABS modeling is concerned,I am replacing shear walls with link elements (axial stiffness only)to account for walls support for axial forces having no contribution in seismic shear.
Kindly go through the document (attached)again and make a conclusive decision.I shall be so grateful to you.

Answer
Hi Syed,

I guess the approach mentioned there can be used, but you should also read the caveat in the commentary at the end.

If you want to proceed then yes, use the links method, but then you will not be able to accurately model the MRF interaction with the shear walls- in other words if the beams framing into the links are connected as hinges then your MRF will be too flexible, and if it is fully fixed, even then it will be too flexible as the links have no bending stiffness along the plane of the frame?

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan