Civil Engineering/retrofitting

Question
explain how adding shear wall increases strength but reduces ductility of framed structure while adding steel bracings to framed
structure increases both strength and ductility.

Answer
Dear Deshmukh

Please notice a couple of things:

1- Ductility demand of the structures decreases with the stiffness. When you add shear wall into your structure, you increase the structure stiffness. Then you will need to have more ductility in your building. For a constant ductility in your structure, higher stiffness make your structure more vulnerable due to higher ductility demand.

2- If the above rule would not be true, The ductility of your structure would depend on ductility of its components. Then the ductility of the components would govern the total ductility of structure.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi