Civil Engineering/slab reinforcement

Question
hi sir. sir my question is that spacing of reinforcement in slab of houses in Pakistan is normally given 7" or 8" but in actual it comes  more than this.. what is reason of it? 2nd question is that a beam supported on edge column(periphery column) , what is support for that beam at this position?(fixed or simple support)

Answer
Hi Ali,

1. The minimum spacing and sizes of rebar are dictated by not just strength requirements but also for shrinkage/curing cracks and fire-resistance. Hence rebar may need to be even closer spacing than 175-200mm.

2. That depends on the rebar detailing and relative stiffness of the beam and column. If the column is much stiffer than the beam, then it is almost fully-fixed, but you need to do an anlysis to see how the moment distribution is between the beams and columns.  

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan