Civil Engineering/civil engineering

QUESTION: Hello sir,
I m doing B-tech in civil engineering at Port blair. i m final year student. please suggest some project topic related to concrete technology and geotechnical engineering.

ANSWER: Hi Saritha,

Port Blair! Nice place- I was there earlier this year.

If you browse my past answers with keywords " final year topic thesis subjects", you will find lots of ideas. One such answer is as below, but if you need further advice, please get in touch again.

Some topics I have listed previously are:

1. High strength concrete
2. Durability of concrete.
3. Optimisation of structures.
4. Punching shear in flat slabs.
5. Long term deflection of concrete beams/slabs.
6. Modern methods of construction.
7. Blast-proof buildings

If you are homing in to analysis and design, you could add:

1. Manual vs computerised FEA analysis
2. Effect of element size on output of FEA analysis 3. Second-order analysis effects for tall buildings, etc.

I am not an expert in geotechical engineering, sorry to say!

QUESTION: hello sir,
you had given one topic "Blast-proof buildings".can u give some ideas about this project.actually what i have to do in this project. i have another topic  i.e "SUITABILITY OF BEACH SAND AS FINE AGGREGATE" Please give some idea about this project also.

Hi Saritha,

Blast-proof buildings need special analysis methods and then special design using either confined concrete detailing or using special spiral rebar of twisted plates reinforcement.

Yes, you can study beach sand, which requires special cleaning to remove mud and excessive salt before it can be used for concrete.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)