Civil Engineering/Design Columns without moments

Dear Sir,

Is there any code permit designing the columns by considering only axial load if the design is for gravity loads.

I mean the loads are just the reactions of the continues beams.

if No , is it safe to do that ?

thank you

Dear Hamdi

All codes allow  you to design columns, sometimes with a concern of a minimum eccentricity. The formula in codes allow you to have a column with axial load only. But due to random eccentricity which may always occur,  it is not recommended to assume  axial load without a minimum of moment.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran