Civil Engineering/Difference between light, medium and heavy steel.

Question
Dear Arshad Khan,

Whats the difference between light, medium and heavy structural steel? I work in a EPC company and there is a lot of talk about different structural members classified into different steel types. Field labour rates are different for each steel type too.

Thanks

Answer
Hi Mike,

I am not an expert in this particular subject but logically this would mean large size (say more than 10-12 inches) I-beams and H-columns for the heavy sections and small (say 2-6 inches)cold-formed Z-purlins, L-shaped angles, C-shaped channels and rectangular hollow sections for the lighter steel. Medium would be in between.

Field labour costs are usually applied per unit of steel weight and heavier sections can be handled and erected at a much lower manhour per kilogram (or lb) rate, hence the differential between these and the lighter sections.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan