Civil Engineering/Strength of materials

Question
Sir

I have a assignment topic which is measuring strain using different methods .I came across strain gages which have different methods like mechanical,optical,electrical etc.I wanted to know which other methods are possible.I came to know that strain gage is one of the methods of measuring strain .

I will be thankful to your response .

Answer
Dear varun

You must look for properties in material which may change with the state of strain or stress. I dont know any method other than you have found yourself but I can say that no absolute state of strain may be measured but you may only trace the relative state of strain. You can measure what has been changed during the strain growing from one state to other. Strain is not like temperature to be measured according to the actual environmental situation.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi