Civil Engineering/thesis topic selection at masters level

Question
QUESTION: RESPECTED SIR,
         I HAVE A DEGREE OF "BACHELORS OF SCIENCES IN CIVIL ENGINEERING". I HAVE SPENT TWO AND HALF YEARS AT CONSTRUCTION SITES RELATED TO BUILDINGS. MY INTEREST WENT TOWARDS BUILDING ENGINEERING AND I GOT ADMISSION IN MSC BUILDING ENGINEERING RECENTLY. I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS FOR YOU

1: IS BUILDING ENGINEERING IS DISADVANTAGEOUS FOR CIVIL ENGINEERS? SPECIALLY IF ANY ONE WANTS TO JOIN FACULTY OF ANY CIVIL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT IN ANY UNIVERSITY?
2: PLEASE SUGGEST SOME NEW/MODERN TOPICS FOR MY THESIS REGARDING BUILDING ENGINEERING, SPECIFICALLY RELATED TO CONCRETE AND BUILDING AESTHETICS.

THANKS A LOT.

REGARDS

SYED TASEER ABBAS JAFFAR

ANSWER: Hi Taseer,

Building engineering is what I did and it is geared more towards structural and MEP engineering for buildings. So if you wish to follow a career in civil engineering then this is not the best course for you.

As for topics for thesis, please browse my past Q&A with keywords "final year project thesis topic" and you will find lots of ideas.

QUESTION: RESPECTED SIR,
         FIRST OF ALL I AM VERY GRATEFUL TO YOU FOR CLEARING MY VISION. BUT STILL I HAVE A LITTLE CONFUSION IN MY MIND THAT  I WANT TO PUT MY CAREER ON TEACHING/EDUCATION DEPARTMENT.I COULDN'T MEET THE CRITERIA/MERIT FOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FOR MASTERS. THEN I CHOSE BUILDING ENGINEERING BECAUSE IT HAS SOME COMMON SUBJECT WITH STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING. SIMPLY SPEAKING, I WANT TO ASK THAT IN WHICH DEPARTMENT/SUBJECT I CAN START MY TEACHING CAREER AFTER DOING MASTERS IN BUILDING ENGINEERING.

Answer
Hi Taseer,

If your university has a department or course in Buiding Engineering (like mine did at Bath University, UK), then that is the right one for you. Otherwise you can join the civil engineering department but restricting yourself to buildings, materials, construction methods, structural engineering, etc

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan