Civil Engineering/Escalator Design.

Dear Babak

Escalators, like moving walkways, are powered by constant-speed alternating current motors and move at approximately 12 feet (0.300.61 m) per second. The typical angle of inclination of an escalator to the horizontal floor level is 30 degrees with a standard rise up to about 60 feet (18 m).

1. Is the Angle of inclination of 30 degree standard to the Horizontal floor and standard rise of about 60 feet standardized in all escalator designs  while manufacturing ?. i.e. Can the Angle of inclination differ to 45 degree or standard rise to say 80 meters
or speed vary i.e.  2-3 feet (0.61 m - 0.91 m) per second ?.

2. Is the Load carrying capacity (weight of the Riders) in a escalator set to a maximum limit ?. i.e. Every Escalator designed
has a maximum load carrying capacity similar to a Elevator device ?

In this case, how safety of the passengers is ensured if overload happens ?. what is the overload protection mechanism
inbuilt within the escalator ?. As soon as there is a overload of
extra weight, the escalator device stops moving upwards (Step Up Motion) or downwards (Step Down Motion) ?.

3. In events of electric power breakdowns where escalator comes to a standstill, how passengers safety is ensured as they is a chance of losing balance while moving up or down ?. Is the escalator machine battery powered up in case of mains power failure ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Dear Prashant

1- As I know , no real standard exists for the angle of  inclination of escalators. But a maximum of architectural stairs (27 degree).
2- The maximum loading must be respected, if not some safety devices in escalators must become active to prevent escalator from moving.
3- This is depending on the technology of your device.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran