Civil Engineering/ramp design

Dear Sir,

What is the minimum thickness required for a ramp  for basement for the vehicular traffic 6m width? thanx so much.Regards....

RC column or pedestal
RC column or pedestal  
Dear Kavi

Pinned or fixed supports are those you use details to provide them. In fact , in ordinary structures we don't have pinned connection. Theoretically, references give a central oriented bent reinforcement detail in RC column or pedestals where the cross point of rods is located on the column (pedestal) and foundation interface. I have seldom seen this detail being applied but it is credible.

In industrial steel structures like bridges or so you can see pinned connection very frequently.

In ordinary steel buildings you can follow other detail than the pedestal I said before. You can provide the bas plate with 2 dowel being aligned in one direction leaving the other direction with a moment free connection. With the base plate you can arrange to have a total pinned connection with the dowel connected in the center of the base plate.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran