Civil Engineering/research

QUESTION: Hello sir. I am currently working on a thesis about mixing silt with high plasticity with shredded rubber, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 percent by weight. My hypothesis is that in a certain percent by weight the shear strength will reach its optimum, say 20 percent. I am just wondering, if i would only determine the trend of the behavior of soil, should it be valid to consider only one trial, considering also that the increment is 10 percent by weight? Is it considerable enough? If it is considerable, what is the basis? Or else, should i pursue three trials in order not to be biased with the result?

ANSWER: Dear Erwin

This is kind of problem I like to think about. I have had similar problem several times before.I need a couple of day to study  more about and I will let you know.

QUESTION: Thank you sir. I appreciate that. It would really be helpful because it will save time and money. :)

Dear Erwin

I suggest you a try and error strategy. For example try first with 3 samples and for a controlling process try 2 more ( between 1 and 2 and between 2 and 3 ) if the modification of the average and standard deviation is not more than 10% it is not necessary to continue and 5 samples is ok. If not you should continue with 4 more samples. This is an example . You can use your own strategy to satisfy your project requirements.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran