Civil Engineering/Shear walls

I want to design 10 story building,
1- How can I know if it requires a shear wall or not? we are in Iraq dosent have earthquakes but sometimes we have been asked to design buildings to resist Erthquakes.

2- If it is required, how many and what is the area required and how to locate their location in the architectural plan?

I will be graetfull if you answered my question and if you have an example or video showing the process

Many thanks in advance

Alaa Yousif

Dear Alaa

Usually you need shear walls provided that your architectural condition give you the freedom. Then you need shear walls when your architect allows you.

The number and details for shear wall system is governed by the architectural conditions and the economy of the project.

Then your masters are:

your architect
economy of project

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran